Sunday 30 May 2010

I have never been the kind of girl that has dreamt of a knight in shining armour.


It's odd really since I grew up in a colourful and happy fairytale world where a knight in shining armour would have fitted right in. I believed in gnomes and fairies and I could see the wonderful glimmering magic all around me in the world. However, it was always the contrasts and the darkness that fascinated me the most. As a silent observer I noted the obscure dark sides of people around me more than I the polished surfaces that they had chosen to display to the world around them. In the middle of the political correctness I saw the dark slimy threads of bigotry and filthy lies that was the true nature of the person.

My Cinderella was the classic Cinderella that tortured her step sisters by forcing them to wear iron boxes with hot coals in them for shoes, not the sweet Disney version. If something so sweet and beautiful can be so cruel then it should be possible for the ugly and horrid to show compassion too. Where can we truly draw the line between good and evil when we know that reality is not black and white? I love the "dark" side, not because it is evil but because it is discriminated against by bigots that stereotype rather than looking to the nature of the individual. I've seen more truly good acts done by people who are shunned by others than by those who are accepted.

No comments: