Sunday 6 June 2010

So old...

I read an article about email and how it is on it's way to die out. We've had email for about 20 years and it will be too old fashioned for people as little as 10 years from now. We live in a society that doesn't have the time to wait for anything and those extra seconds it takes for a mail to go from mail box to mail box is too much, people want instant results. People 10 years from now will mainly use IM, text messages, chat and possibly new forms of communication that's instant too. It is already happening, the article concluded, even today it's mainly old people who use email.

I use email only, and now I feel old... so old.

I dislike being stuck in a conversation waiting for the other person to speak. I'm the kind of person who multi tasks and I find it very stressful to be stuck doing one thing only. I don't like talking on the phone either for the same basic reason, though I can do more when I'm on the phone since I can walk around with the phone and clean the house, water flowers and other things like that. With IM I'm stuck at the computer, I can't carry a lap top around with me while doing things and the messages flows too fast for me to get into doing something else on the computer, as soon as I focus and start to work on something there is a message calling for my attention. If I don't answer immediately then there will be a series of IM messages saying "where did you go?" and "are you still there?". Yes, I'm still there and it has only been 30 seconds since you sent the first message, I'm reading and I'm typing, such things takes time, or at least it does for me. By the time I've typed my message down, spell checked it, proof read it and edited the errors; I have a long row of messages from the other person waiting for me. I don't like stress and after one of those hysteric conversations where I didn't have a clue what were talking about because of the stress... I deleted the whole IM thingy and I've never gone back.

... so old.

People who live with too much stress in their lives have shorter lives than those who take it easy. I guess I have to accept feeling old for a long time to come. ;o)

No comments: