Saturday 21 May 2011

You Can Say - Dead Gumbies



Dead Gumbies is a band from Cleveland, Ohio, United States. They list their music as Blues/Psychedelia/Rock.

I've been going through the songs they have on their MySpace as well as their YouTube channel and I can't get a grip on the music. It's not bad, much of it is well worth the listening to and I recommend it, but ... I'm still mixed. The style changes from song to song and I miss a clear and tangible "theme", something that connects it all. Once again, the music isn't bad it's just difficult for me to get a grip on.

The band members, Robin and Ratrod, have played in several different bands before and have merged into Dead Gumbies. That could explain it all. The lack of consistency could stem from their different musical backgrounds. If that's the case then the "theme" will crystallize over time and become clearer.

Either way, take the time to drop by their MySpace and have a listen. John Crow is a clear favourite of mine and I hope they put it up on YouTube some day so that I can share it here. 

No comments: